Tuesday, September 29, 2009

The Art Of Making Tepak Sireh .... well ... my style!


This particular ornament has never failed to impress me. So, I took the challenge to produce my own tepak sireh in my own little corner of the shop! Tepak sireh created by me must be different from the conventional design in the market. Starting from the first one that has a design of Selangor State crest in 2 tone of Gold and Rhodium (Picture on left), I felt very proud that a Malay customer compliments my art of work and willing to pay a handsome fees for it..
The second tepak sireh was accidently design from the existing Coasters series at the spur of the moment. I created it with lots of passion and hard effort. It was very neat, and with many fine details. After completing it, it was on display in front of my shop and within 3 weeks it was purchased by a corporate company. However, because of my busy schedule doing promotion outside of the shop, I forgotten to snap a picture of it and now that particular tepak sireh is proudly in the hand of a local VIP.
Now, for the third tepak sireh which is under plating process, again I used my spontaneous creativity to use 'redundant' products and carefully combine them into the main container, 5 pieces of cannister, the 3 pieces of sireh leaves and the kacip (nut-cracker). For this design, I have decided to give the top edges some fittings, to enhance the corners a bit. A lot of attention is given to the cannister of 5 pieces. The most difficult part must be getting them round in shape. No doubt the top cover is also not a breeze to make, but I managed to design it without much difficulties, from experience and creativity ideas!

Here you see two pictures of this tepak sireh, before the plating process. I have decided to complete this set with gold plating. After this plating process, I might decide to give it a little rustic finishing, especially to the 4 top corners and the top cannister cover.

Rest assured, once the plating is completed, you will see it here in my blog. For now, the next tepak sireh? What will my design be?

2 comments:

  1. Interesting, but still don't know what it is used for. Want to throw some light here as overseas readers will not know and understand its use?

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'Tepak Sireh' is a brass container .... where you can place and keep betel leaves, betel-nut, clove, cardamom, catechuu, tobacco and also the betel-nut cracker.

    Betel chewing is a tradition which dates back thousands of years. The bitter poultice is an acquired taste, and, although it is not clear why the people of the Pacific originally began to chew betel-nut, the habit has been passed down through the generations and now provides a cultural link to their past.
    For modern malays, along with other gifts, it is used for their wedding proposal from the man’s family to the bride-to-be. Its a malay tradition during weddings as it symbolized respect to culture & the visited house. Normally it is used to indicate the person who shall head or become the spokesperson for the groom's entourage. Without it the bride's side would wonder with whom shall the official ceremony be negotiated / directed to.

    ReplyDelete